- IFA Paris is a certified FEDE Institution
- Duration: 2 weeks – 60 hours (Paris, Istanbul), 5 days – 30 hours (Online)
- Language: English
- Campuses: Paris, Istanbul, Online
- Next intakes: July 2023
- Application fee: €50
- Tuition fee:
The original objective of international fashion weeks is to allow buyers to preview seasonal collections that will appear in stores. Shows developed by international fashion houses have elevated these professional events to the rank of most expected and impactful artistic productions worldwide.
The short course Fashion Event Planning is aimed at providing students with an introduction on the different components involved in the organisation and execution of a fashion show.
In line with IFA Paris’ pedagogical strategy, this short course has been created with a practical and pragmatic focus. From understanding how to create a fitting technical sheet, to ateliers in gastronomy and oenology geared to select the perfect show catering, students will benefit from a fully immersive experience.
Teaching and Learning Strategy:
This course is based on a balanced mix between theoretical modules, workshops and practices. The overarching idea across all the components is to improve participants’ awareness and improve their overall creativity so that they can produce the most impacting, unique and coherent fashion event.
A Transversal project will be presented on the first day of the program. Students will be given a brief by their client in order to conceptualize and execute their event.
In Paris, participants to this short course will be producing IFA Paris’ graduation show featuring collections of our graduates from the Bachelor of Fashion Design and Technology and MA Contemporary Fashion Design. With close to 30 collections featured and up to 100 looks showcased on the catwalk, this is a large-scale event that can be a great addition to the professional portfolio of a future fashion event planner.
- Understand the role and responsibilities of an event planner
- Decipher a client brief in creating a successful proposal
- Select and plan a suitable theme for specific events
- Plan, Identify and employ practical photographic and media styling skills
- Make creative contributions to the styling process International Fashion Academy Paris
- Communicate effectively using visual and verbal means
The online program takes place live and in real-time (Paris or Istanbul local time) and you will interact with the lecturer and other students through our online platform. However, if you cannot attend or miss a live class, every session is also recorded and saved, so you can go back and watch it at a later suitable time for you.
Course Structure (Paris, Istanbul)
Spread over 60 hours, the program provides insights on the following aspects:
- Development of a creative brief for client validation
- Creation of a project management timeline detailing specific actions and stakeholders involved in the production of a show
- Organization of final fittings of collections
- Planning and execution of a model casting consistent with the overall theme of a show
- Curation of a show playlist
- Management of rehearsals
- Elaboration and management of an action plan addressing challenges related with backstage and runway choreography.
Course Structure (Online)
Please note that the program structure and scheduling may vary according to locations and lecturers in charge. The structure will be adapted to the local context and imperatives.
- Introduction to the different types of events – People think fashion event planning only consists of fashion shows but there is a lot more to it. During this first session, students will also be introduced to the brief for their final project which is the creation of a dedicated fashion event according to an IFA Paris’ partner brief.
- Introduction to Budget & Logistics – Students will discover how to build a budget and work with a predetermined allocated sum.
- Venue Scouting – students will discover the different type of venues that can be used for events, from traditional spaces to unusual, off the beaten track locations
- Catering – As event planners are often curating menus without the opportunity to taste everything, students will learn the basics of pairing and understanding which wines go best with common main dishes.
- Students will discuss common event elements such as different types of entertainment (DJ/Band/Playlist), photography, photo booth, lighting, AV, decor, and visuals. Students will learn about innovative event activations and “instagrammable” moments that will help bring an event to life.
- Students will learn how to create an invite, common invite jargon, how many people to invite to hit a certain number, tiering their invite lists A & B, and creating seating charts for sit-down events especially when dealing with talent. We will discuss common elements that need to be kept in mind when you have celebrities/VIPs at your event such as a face sheet, coordinating hair and makeup, car service, dressing, red carpet, and green room. During this class, students will hear from a talent rep on what it is like to work with VIPs daily and things to keep in mind when hosting them at events.
- On-site/ROS/Walkthrough – Students will learn about staffing an event and on-site needs/roles such as check-in and valet. They will also learn how to put a thorough and detailed run-of-show together inclusive of a brief event overview, contact list, timeline, and short list. We will discuss how to conduct a final event walkthrough, soundcheck, lighting test, AV test and post-event items such as breakdown and returns.
- Students’ individual concept presentations
- Recommended level of English is IELTS 5.5 (to fully understand and follow the course). The IELTS certificate is not required, but we just want to be certain that you will be able to comprehend the course.
- Min. 16 years old (Paris, Istanbul) and 13 years old (Online)
- Interest in planning fashion events
Documents to provide (in English or translated to English by a certified translator):
- Fill in the online application form
- Copy of passport
- Passport photo
Paris & Istanbul:
Tuition fee: €1,500
Tuition fee: €500
Early bird discount (10%) for tuition fee payments processed at least 7 months in advance of the program start date.
What is included in the fee:
- Microsoft Office Pack
- Access to IFA’s Online Learning Management System (LMS)
- Course Material
What is not included in the fee:
- Expenses related to module specific materials (ex: purchase of fabrics, future boards…etc)
- Printing and photocopying costs
Material Requirements (Online)
- A recent computer with a recent operating system
- A good internet connection
- An up-to-date web browser (it would be advisable to ensure you have access to two separate web browsers)
- Microphone & Headphones (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended)
- Adobe Creative Cloud